Instructions: This screen assists people in making decisions about the way they engage in gaming activities. Please answer these questions based on your engagement with gaming over the past year (i.e., 12 months).
For clarification, “games or gaming” are catchall terms which include online (i.e., the Internet) and offline engagement with games (e.g., video games, console games, handheld games, cellular phone or tablet games, computer games) or use of any other device capable of playing games, and includes the viewing of current or past games being played or broadcast (e.g., eSports).
- How often do you think about your current, previous, or next gaming activity? __Never __Occasionally __Weekly __Daily __Hourly __Always
- Have you become restless, irritable, angry, or anxious when you are unable to engage in gaming activities? __Yes __No
- Has your engagement with gaming activities increased in the past year? __Yes __No
- What is the average number of hours spent engaging in gaming activities each week? __Less than 7 hours __ Between 8-14 hours __Between 15-20 hours __Between 21-30 hours __Between 31-40 hours __More than 40 hours
- Have you tried to reduce participation in game activities but found it too difficult, so you’ve continued engaging in gaming activities? __Yes __No
- Have you lost interest in non-game related activities (e.g. sports, hobbies, family activities, etc.)? __Yes __No
- Have you continued to engage in game activities despite knowing the problems you experience as a result of your use? __Yes __No
- Have you deceived a family member, significant other, employer or therapist regarding the amount of time spent engaging in gaming activities? __Yes __No
- Do you find yourself participating in gaming activities to feel better (e.g. reduce anxiety, loneliness, sadness, guilt, worry, etc.)? __Yes __No
- Have you lost a significant relationship, academic or employment opportunity because of your engagement with gaming activities? __Yes __No
- On the line below, please select the option that best describes how you feel right now:
__ I never think about gaming activities
__ Sometimes I think about gaming activities less
__ I have decided to engage in gaming activities less
__ I am already trying to engage in gaming activities less
__ I changed my engagement with gaming activities-I do not engage in gaming activities now, or I engage less than before
__ Other (please specify)
*This tool is adapted from the Brief Biosocial Gambling Screen (BBGS) developed to measure gambling behavior, and the DSM-5 criteria for IGD.